Countryside wishes to be acknowledged as an industry leader in its approach to care of the environment, in the execution of its developments and in its working practices. Countryside's objective is to ensure that development realises the desired financial returns whilst in an environmentally responsible and sustainable manner.
To achieve this, Countryside's vision, values and objectives are to:
- Comply with all relevant social and environmental legislation and codes of practice;
- Exercise high levels of corporate governance across the Group.
- Work towards continuous improvement by setting objectives and targets against which to review its progress.
- Implement effective management systems to aid the achievement of its objectives.
- Report its performance regularly to its key stakeholders.
The Group aims to achieve the following core goals in a cost-effective manner within the cornerstones of sustainability:
Achieving Environmental Improvement
- Reduce the use of natural resources during the lifetime of the building through effective design, construction and providing advice to occupants on how to operate the building optimally.
- Seek to build on sites with a previous use and protect biodiversity.
- Consider the environmental and social impacts of construction materials throughout their lifecycle.
- Protect the Environment, Prevent pollution and reduce waste, energy and water during construction activities.
Promoting Thriving Communities
- Design developments which create a sense of community and social inclusion.
- Seek to enhance quality of life and health and wellbeing through careful design.
- Liaise with local communities during design and development, consider their needs and reduce any unavoidable disruption to them.
- Provide employment for the local community.
- Actively support educational initiatives in the community, schools and universities and provide work experience opportunities.
- Continue to support local, regional and national charities.
Contributing to a Sustainable Economy
- Continue to deliver quality and sustainable properties efficiently and profitably for the benefit of its customers and stakeholders.
- Manage its supply chain to ensure that through proactive engagement it will promote sustainability and ethical procurement.
- Consider the potential impact of our developments on the local economy of the area.
Ensuring Employee Welfare and Development
- Develop and maintain a safe and healthy workplace for all our staff and third parties.
- Ensure all employees are treated equally and with respect, and are appropriately rewarded.
- Maintain the Investors in People standard and thereby develop its people to maximise their full potential by the provision of suitable training and empowerment.
- Encourage staff to develop their awareness and understanding of sustainability issues.
- This Policy is regularly reviewed and supported by a number of issue specific policies and procedures. These policies and details of the Group's environmental targets can be viewed in the Policies section of this website.
- Sustainability issues are integrated into the core of our activities and management responsibility has been allocated to individuals both at Board level and throughout the business. The Group is committed to promoting sustainable development and will maintain effective dialogue with its stakeholders in support of achieving this policy.
Signed (Group Chief Executive)
10th October 2016