New Homes blog
TOP TIPS FOR DRESSING YOUR TABLE FOR CHRISTMAS - BY MARCUS OF THE CHRISTMAS DECORATORS
Do you have masses of guests round on Christmas Day and throughout the festive season? Or are your festive celebrations are on a smaller scale? Regardless of the number of people joining you over the holiday season, you will hopefully be tucking in to a delicious Christmas dinner and other special meals with family and friends. For that extra festive feel, why not follow our top tips on how to make your table extra special this year and take a look at the accompanying video.
We’ve gone for a rustic, traditional theme that’s just a little different but really wow your friends and family.
Before you get started, you will need the following essential items, which you can get hold of from garden centres or online at places like eBay and Etsy.
- One roll of raffia
- Log slices
- A length of lawn edging (buy a size to suit length of your table)
- Flattened bark pieces
- Mini stockings
- One roll of organza
- Three candles
- Artificial ivy vines
- Artificial garlands of berries
- Small robin and hedgehog ornaments or tree decorations
1. Firstly, begin by covering your table with your ironed table cloth. Ensure that you measure your table before purchasing the cloth, so that it definitely covers the entire surface. A white table cloth is a perfect backdrop for your festive table.
2. Using the roll of raffia cut off a strip from the roll that is the same length as your table cloth and use it as your table runner, placing it down in the centre of the table.
3. Next you can start laying your table. We’ve used log slices as place mats to fit in with our theme. Place them around the table and begin to stack your china ware.
- Start with your dinner plate, cheese plate and then your dessert bowl.
- Continue to set up your place settings with small pieces of flattened bark to be used as coasters on the left of your china ware.
- For a really cute addition, use a mini Christmas stocking to hold your cutlery, tuck your knife and fork neatly inside.
- To complete the place setting, add a dessert spoon and fork above your china ware.
4. We’ve made our own centrepiece using lawn edging and artificial foliage for a wintery, traditional feel that’s totally unique! This centrepiece is also great because it’s nice and low so you can still talk over the table to your guests. To make the one in the video:
- Place the lawn edging into the centre of the table.
- Using artificial ivy vines, intertwine them through the logs.
- Cut off smaller pieces from the berry garland and add them at random into the centre piece. You should be able to push it into the gaps but if not, use floristry wire around the ends and drive it in.
- Next we’ve added some woodland creature decorations, such as robins and hedgehogs. You can decorate the log by placing them on top and next to your centre piece. To keep them in place you can use double sided tape underneath.
5. To set the mood, we’ve added some finishing touches:
- Add candles along the centre, where you have room. Make sure they aren’t too close to anything else!
- Tie large stockings filled with gifts onto the arms of chairs to keep them entertained
- Tie organza around the back of the chairs
- And of course, add crackers for each person!
So that’s how to create your fab festive table, thanks for reading! Make sure you watch our video for more tips. We hope you have a great Christmas!
Countryside has dressed their show homes for Christmas so for inspiration come and visit them and view the new home you could be enjoying in the New Year!
You can also check out our other blogs and videos in this series on how to decorate your Christmas tree, create a fabulous wreath and a garland for your mantelpiece.
The Christmas Decorators