New Homes blog
7 TOP TIPS FOR SELLING YOUR HOME - BY ANDREW LOVEDAY
With an average of eight potential buyers per house on the market, it’s a fantastic time to sell your home. However, selling can still be a stressful experience. To really maximise the potential value of your home and get it sold and off the market as quickly as possible there are plenty of things you can do to make your property the home of someone’s dreams!
Here are my top tips:
- Curb appeal: Impress the buyers before they even step inside – a tidy front garden, a freshly painted front door and plant pots or hanging baskets either side will create a great first impression.
- Clean, clean, clean! It sounds obvious but ensuring a clean and tidy home will show off your property in its best light. If possible, hire some professional cleaners to really give the place a deep clean then keep on top of the cleaning day-to-day.
- Create a neutral space and clear clutter: New homeowners want to customise. Repaint over dark or bright coloured walls with neutral colours and clear away clutter so that buyers can imagine themselves there. Imagine it’s a show home!
- Repair and improve: That leaking tap in the bathroom or rip in the wallpaper might not bother you but little things might call attention to bigger problems. This applies to the garden too. Repairing minor faults and improving out-of-date fixtures and fittings can make the world of difference.
- Keep your pets away: Although animals can make a family home it’s a good idea to have someone look after your pets for house viewings. Pet-loving buyers could be distracted and those that are allergic will want to leave as soon as possible.
- Create a homely environment: Although your home should be tidy, clean and neutral it should not seem like a sterile environment. Subtle, warm scents – such as freshly brewed coffee or freshly baked bread – will be appealing and welcoming to prospective buyers.
- Don’t hover! Although you know your home like the back of your hand, leave buyers alone during the viewing. Let potential buyers walk around freely giving them plenty of space but make them aware you are happy to answer any questions when they’ve finished looking.
Once your home is sold, you can start looking forward to your next adventure in your new home.